robtwinem

runner

I live in Bristol UK literary fiction and crime are my books of choice and when not reading I like to run

The Last British Dambuster: One man's extraordinary life and the raid that changed history
George Johnny Johnson
Progress: 50 %
Professional Reader 50 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published

Floating on a sea of words

The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

Kazuo Ishiguro is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. His writing is seamless, it gently flows along unhurried soothing….Stevens is a long serving butler at Darlington Hall, this is a world of servitude, a world of privilege at a time where class distinctions were recognized and viewed as important. Stevens is content with his role, like his father before him he is a butler, he takes his daily duties very seriously and performs them with quiet efficiency. Through his eyes we the readers are silent observers to important historical events under intense discussion between elite decision makers in the days before WW2, a pivotal time in world history, the rise of Nazism and the impossible rush to inevitable conflict. Amidst this activity Stevens adheres to his expected and daily routine, and has little time to question his relationship, or otherwise, with the seemingly untouchable Miss Kenton. At heart The remains of the day is a love story told with sadness and humour, duty and loyalty appearing as more important than unrequited love. Lyrical and colouful this is a book that will delight from start to finish.