robtwinem

runner

I live in Bristol UK literary fiction and crime are my books of choice and when not reading I like to run

Operation Chastise: The RAF's Most Brilliant Attack of World War II
Progress: 20 %
Professional Reader 50 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published

Little gem from Jeff Strand

Blister - Jeff Strand

What a zany enjoyable high octane ride! Jason Tray has taken a break from his daily job as a cartoonist to stay for a short time at his agent's lakeside cabin. There he meets and falls in love with Rachel Kramer known cruelly to the locals as "Blister" because of her destroyed and mutilated face. Those familiar with the writing style of Jeff Strand will certainly enjoy this fast "tongue in cheek" crazy story which is a mix of horror, humour, crime and a little bit of true looovvvveeeee thrown in...."So, anyway, let's talk about love. Sometimes it means that you would die for each other. Sometimes it means that a person drives you absolutely crazy but you can't imagine being with anybody else. Sometimes it means that you'd follow them to the edge of the world, or that you'd wait for them forever" It could also be argued that what Strand is really trying to bring to your attention is society's attitude towards the perfect and the beautiful and by doing so show our inability to look beyond face value and failing to find the real truth and beauty that lies beneath This book is a great introduction to the mind, presentation and style of the author and if you enjoyed do seek out and read "Dweller" and "Pressure"