robtwinem

runner

I live in Bristol UK literary fiction and crime are my books of choice and when not reading I like to run

Remain Silent
Progress: 80 %
Professional Reader 50 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published

Disappointing

Love - Roddy Doyle

As a fan of previous fiction by Roddy Doyle I was expecting Love to be full of the humour and sharp wit that is his trademark. Without a doubt this book has wit and "craic" in every page but the story (is there one?) is impossible to follow. Joe and Davy two old childhood friends meet up for a drinking session, visit local hostelries and in doing so recall the rather drunken and naughty days of their respective youths. Sounds good? The only problem is I could not understand or make any sense of the dialogue. We are thrown straight into their mispent adventures, the stories they have to tell are impossible to follow and leave the reader very frustrated. We love you Roddy but is this just a case of a writer acting just a little blase and by so doing treating his readers with contempt? Many thanks to the good people at netgalley for a gratis copy in exchange for an honest review and that is what I have written.