robtwinem

runner

I live in Bristol UK literary fiction and crime are my books of choice and when not reading I like to run

Remain Silent
Progress: 80 %
Professional Reader 50 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published

Sorry mate...........

The Lost Man - Jane Harper

Two years ago I read the debut novel The Dry by Jane Harper and I thought it was fresh, intelligent with the great rugged Australian outback forming a beautiful backdrop. Force of Nature was the second book featuring Federal Police agent Aaron Falk and although not quite as outstanding as The Dry it was still an excellent read. So with some excitement the good people of Little Brown via netgalley sent me a gratis copy of The Lost Man in exchange for an honest review and I began to read..........Do you remember in the early 80's the adventure of the Ewing family in the long running series Dallas which in reality was an American soap series analyzing the never ending feuds of a wealthy oil dynasty. The Lost Man reminds me so much of this series a family torn apart by its past having to cope with sudden unexpected death. The body of Cameron is discovered one morning by his brothers Nathan and Bud under the relenting sun and brutal Australian outback...unfortunately that's about as good as this story gets. We spend the best part of nearly 400 pages listening to tedious family squabbles as old hatreds and secrets come to the surface. This was a monotonous piece of storytelling with little or no excitement that rambled forever until the final pages when Cameron's murderer is revealed. A story that was monotonous in the extreme with its constant use of the word "mate" (yes I know it is Australia  but there is such a thing as overkill) a story that I found contained little merit and a story that I most certainly would not recommend. Many thanks to the good people at netgalley for a gratis copy in exchange for an honest review and that is what I have written.