robtwinem

runner

I live in Bristol UK literary fiction and crime are my books of choice and when not reading I like to run

Hamnet
Maggie O'Farrell
Progress: 15 %
The Last British Dambuster: One man's extraordinary life and the raid that changed history
George Johnny Johnson
Progress: 50 %
Professional Reader 50 Book Reviews 80% Reviews Published

Predictable average story

Savages - Greg F. Gifune

No matter what other reviewers say about a particular author or story it may not be to my liking...and unfortunately, although I do normally enjoy the writing of Greg F Gifune, this  was a rather poor offering. I usually associate his work with the darker side of relationships and family life( good examples being Saying Uncle and Gardens of Night) however I found Savages reminded me somewhat of" Predator" where a group of soldiers are sent on a rescue mission and a technologically advanced form of extraterrestrial life secretly strikes and hunts down the group. In Savages 7 friends are lost at sea when they encounter a small uninhabited island and hope that by resting here they can survive until the "cavalry" arrives. An entity decides that he does not welcome this intrusion and so this evil monstrous predator proceeds to remove those poor defenceless trespassers. A formulaic story, pleasant to read but totally unoriginal.